A delicious lentil casserole from The Happy Pear.
- 100 g red (or white) onion (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 30 g carrot (grated)
- 30 g parsnip (grated)
- 80 g red pepper (diced)
- 10 green beans (french beans, chopped into bite sized pieces)
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 200 g uncooked puy lentils (soaked for 40 mins. to reduce cooking time*) or 320g
- precooked (canned) puy lentils
- 300 ml water (if using uncooked puy lentils, do not add water if using canned lentils)
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tblsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tblsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- parsley to garnish
- 1 tsp. olive oil or low calorie spray oil for cooking
- Start by heating the oil in a pan on a medium heat. Add the garlic & (red) onion & sauté on a low heat. Leave these ingredients on the heat for 3 mins.
- Then add the grated carrot and parsnip. A pinch of salt will help them to
- release their flavours. Leave the ingredients to simmer on a low heat for 5 mins. Then add 1 can of chopped tomatoes and turn up the heat.
- Next add the puy lentils and water (if necessary). Uncooked puy lentils will absorb a lot of water while they cook.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, soy sauce and stock cube next to add flavour. Once the mixture begins to bubble lower the heat and leave to simmer for half an hour if using uncooked, pre-soaked lentils, or 15 mins. if using canned precooked lentils.
- Finally add the green beans red pepper with a pinch of black pepper. Heat through for 5 mins, and serve, garnishing with parsley if you wish.
The Happy Pear's tip: It is advised that you soak the lentils for about 40 mins before beginning to get the best from them.
More by The Happy Pear:
- Golden Milk from The Happy Pear
- Asparagus, mushrooms & kale: Happy Pear, Today
- Mexican Leek and Black Bean Chilli with Happy Pear Guacamole