These meringues have a crisp exterior and delicious, marshmallow-like centres. They will keep for at least one week in an airtight container, just add the strawberry topping just before serving or the meringues will go soft.
- 3 egg whites
- pinch of salt
- 175 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
- for the topping:
- 225 g small ripe strawberries (hulled and halved)
- 1 tblsp sifted icing sugar
- 1/4 tsp finely grated orange rind
- 1 tblsp cointreau (or another orange-flavoured liqueur
- 300 ml double cream
- These meringues have a crisp exterior and delicious, marshmallow-like centres. They will keep for at least one week in an airtight container, just add the strawberry topping just before serving or the meringues will go soft.
- Preheat the oven to 140°C (275°F/Gas 1).
- Place the egg whites into a large bowl with the salt and whisk with a hand-held electric mixer until they form stiff peaks.
- Whisk in the sugar, a tablespoon at a time, to make a stiff glossy meringue.
- Whisk in the cornflour and vinegar.
- Drop 6 even-sized spoonfuls of the meringue mixture onto a baking sheet lined with non-stick parchment paper, spacing them well apart and flatten slightly with the back of a spoon, making a small dip in the centre.
- Bake for 45 minutes, then turn off the oven and leave them inside for 2-3 hours to go completely cold.
- This should stop them from cracking.
- Half an hour before serving prepare the topping.
- Place the strawberries in a bowl and gently mix with the icing sugar, orange rind and Cointreau.
- Set aside to allow the flavours to infuse.
- Just before serving, whip the cream in a bowl to soft peaks.
- Spoon a small dollop of the cream in the centre of each plate and sit a meringue on top to prevent them from sliding around on the plates.
- Spoon the whipped cream on top.
- Pile the strawberries on top, drizzling any juices around the plates and serve.
More by Neven Maguire:
- Root Vegetable, Chicken, Orzo Broth: Neven Maguire
- Smoked Haddock Hash, Poached Eggs: Neven Maguire
- Butter Bean & Bacon Soup: Neven Maguire