Samphire salad, Wasabi crème fraîche with a Lomi-Lomi purée.
- 200 g fresh tuna
- 230 ml soy sauce
- 1 tblsp sugar
- 1 medium lime
- 2 tblsp dijon mustard
- 230 ml grape seed oil
- pinch sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- wasabi crème fraîche:
- ½ tbsp wasabi powder
- 45 ml crème fraîche
- samphire salad:
- a small collection of shredded mixed leaves
- 3 samphire stalks
- 3 chives.
- 1 medium shallot
- ½ carrot,
- 1 medium radish
- juice of i small lime
- lomi-lomi puree:
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes
- 10 g diced shallots, chives, radish, chives and carrot
- Tuna: In a shallow dish, prepare all of the marinade ingredients. Marinate both sides of the tuna in the liquid. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes - turning after 15 minutes. Remove marinade and leave in fridge until required.
- Wasabi crème fraîche: Place ½ tbsp Wasabi powder into a bowel and mix thoroughly with 6 tbls crème fraîche. Cover with cling film until needed.
- Lomi-Lomi Puree: Blanch tomatoes in hot water to remove skin. Cut tomatoes into quarters and remove seeds. Blend 6 of the tomato quarters into blender and zap until liquid. Dice the remainder 2 quarters finely for texture and add to liquid. Add diced shallot, radish, carrot and chives. Mix well and place in the fridge. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Samphire salad: Tear some green leaves and place in bowel. Add shaving of shallots, sliced carrot, radish and chives. Next break up some samphire and add it to the bowel together with the juice of 1 lime.
- Mix well.
- Plate and Garnishes: Finish with vinaigrette. Garnish: Asparagus spear(s) , Lime wedge, green oil, Tomato rose
By Kevin Mac Namidhe for MasterChef Ireland.