A delicious fish dish!
- 1 whole salmon fillet (rolled and sealed in cling wrap, with herb dust)
- 25 ml olive oil (infused with star anise, bay leaves and vanilla)
- horseradish sauce:
- 2 tsp horseradish grated finely
- 5 tblsp creme fraiche
- 2 tsp chives finely chopped
- squeeze lemon juice
- maldon salt
- potato rosti:
- 1 large white potato
- 1 tsp grated horseradish
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tip of dijon
- white pepper
- 20 g chives finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- clarified butter
- beetroot puree:
- 2 pre-boiled beetroot
- 150 g samphire
- garnish daikon cress, salicornia cress, lemon juice and oil to dress
- Preparation Rosti (10 mins): Chop chives finely, zest lemon and finely grate horseradish – enough for rosti and cream. Using mandolin shred potato into this strips. Add salt, horseradish and chives and place on kitchen towel to drain.
- Make beetroot puree (5 mins): Chop and puree beetroot in bowl with hand blended. Add salt and taste. Cover and set aside.
- Make horseradish cream (5 mins): Add crème fraiche to bowl with chives, lemon juice, zest, salt. Taste, set aside covered.
- Potato Rosti (7 mins): Squeeze potato mix till dry. Add Dijon and lemon zest, mix well. Make into two round cakes using round metal cutter.
- Heat frying pan with clarified butter. Cook rostis on hot pan turning after 3 minutes and browning on both sides thern place in oven.
- Salmon (5 mins): Slice two equal pieces of salmon from roll. Heat flavoured oil until hot in frying pan, season salmon with salt and sear on both sides until light brown – 2 mins each side. Continue to cook salmon for 2 mins till heated through, and then set aside to rest.
- Samphire (2 mins): Bring small amount of water to boil add butter.
- Blanch samphire for 30 secs. Drain and place in bowl for service.
- Plate Up (5 mins): Dress cress with lemon juice, salt and oil. Place samphire on plate through central length. Remove rostis from oven and place on plate. Place two rounds of salmon on rostis, drizzle with oil if looking dry. Make beetroot cornelles three and place on plate.
- Dot horseradish sauce. Place cress around plate.
By Brídín Carey for MasterChef Ireland.