- 3 kg baby back pork ribs
- 2 onions (peeled and sliced in half)
- 1 bulb of garlic (unpeeled and top sliced off)
- a generous pinch of sea salt
- for the barbecue sauce:
- 60 g demerara sugar
- 4 tblsp dark soy sauce
- 4 tblsp tomato ketchup
- 4 tblsp honey
- 4 garlic cloves (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 tblsp dried english mustard
- 2 tsp tabasco sauce
- Cut the strips of ribs into manageable pieces, with about 3-4 ribs to each piece, then put the ribs in a large saucepan with the onions, garlic, a generous pinch of salt and enough cold water to cover. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 1-1½ hours until the meat is tender.
- Shortly before the ribs are cooked, preheat the grill to medium or light a barbecue.
- Whisk all the ingredients for the barbecue sauce together in a saucepan. Bring to the boil over a high heat, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes until you have a thick sauce.
- Remove the ribs from the pan and place in a large baking dish or roasting tray, then coat with half the barbecue sauce. Cook under the hot grill or on the barbecue for 5 minutes on each side and then serve with the rest of the barbecue sauce (reaheat if necessary) and devour!
This recipe and many more are available in Donal's book, Kitchen Hero, published by Harper Collins.
More by Donal Skehan:
- My Perfect Scrambled Eggs
- Brioche French Toast with Berries and Nutella
- Moroccan Chickpea Burgers: Lunch/Dinner sorted