A salad with a kick.
- 1 fresh red chilli
- 1 good ball of buffalo mozzarella (botega di paolo)
- a drizzle of olive oil
- lemon juice
- a few rocket leaves
- fresh basil
- Prick the chilli and place on a naked flame if you have a gas hob, if not, in a pan at the highest setting. Leave until the chilli is blackened on all sides. When done, place the black chilli in a sandwich bag or wrap it in cling film for about 5 minutes until cool. This steams the skin and makes peeling and deseeding easier.
- While the chilli is cooling, rip up the mozzarella into 5 or 6 pieces and place them on a plate. After peeling and deseeding the chilli, slice it lengthways as thinly as you like and toss over the mozzarella.
- Tear up the basil and rocket leaves and scatter them over the plate. Sprinkle a little salt and freshly ground pepper, add some fresh lemon juice and plenty of extra virgin olive oil. And that’s it!
- A few slices of well-chosen, toasted bread, smeared on top with garlic and crushed tomato, and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, can also be added.