A wonderful vegetarian stew alternative.
- good splash olive oil
- 1 large onion (peeled and chopped)
- 2 leeks (chopped into 2cm pieces)
- 2 big carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 1 turnip (peeled and chopped)
- 2 parsnips (peeled and chopped)
- 1 tblsp (heaped) marigold vegetable stock
- 800 ml water
- 110 g pearl barley
- salt and pepper
- Heat up the olive oil in a big saucepan and sauté the onion until golden-brown. Add the leeks, carrots, turnips, barley and parsnips. Cover and cook for a few minutes until starting to soften, ever so slightly.
- Mix the stock in a cup with a small amount of boiling water to get all the lumps out and then add to the saucepan. Chuck in 800ml water.
- Stir well, bring up to the boil then cover and simmer gently for about an hour. Check the seasoning and then serve in big bowls with lovely warm bread.