A wonderful vegetarian stew alternative.
- good splash olive oil
- 1 large onion (peeled and chopped)
- 2 leeks (chopped into 2cm pieces)
- 2 big carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 1 turnip (peeled and chopped)
- 2 parsnips (peeled and chopped)
- 1 tblsp (heaped) marigold vegetable stock
- 800 ml water
- 110 g pearl barley
- salt and pepper
- Heat up the olive oil in a big saucepan and sauté the onion until golden-brown. Add the leeks, carrots, turnips, barley and parsnips. Cover and cook for a few minutes until starting to soften, ever so slightly.
- Mix the stock in a cup with a small amount of boiling water to get all the lumps out and then add to the saucepan. Chuck in 800ml water.
- Stir well, bring up to the boil then cover and simmer gently for about an hour. Check the seasoning and then serve in big bowls with lovely warm bread.
More by Domini Kemp:
- Rhubarb Clafoutis: Domini Kemp, Today show
- Fish Goujons the Domini Kemp way on Today
- Domini Kemp's Irish Stew