This recipe makes about 6 lbs so you may wish to halve the ingredients.
- 1 lb cooking apples (when peeled and sliced)
- ½ lb onions (peeled and sliced)
- 3 lb green or slightly coloured tomatoes (sliced)
- ½ lb sultanas
- ½ lb soft brown sugar or honey
- about ½ oz salt
- ½ pint brown malt vinegar
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp dry mustard - optional
- 5 chillies (6 if no mustard available)
- nutmeg and cinnamon (very little, optional)
- Put all the ingredients into a large pan, with a lid.
- Bring to the boil, simmer for about ½ an hour, then take the lid off and cook until the mixture has thickened (takes around an hour).
- Stir regularly.
- Taste and add more salt or other spices if you like.
- Fill into jars when cold.
- Very nice with Indian dishes (e.g. curries).
More by Richard Corrigan:
- Butter Poached Smoked Haddock with a German Potato Salad
- Roasted Corn on the Cob
- Rump Burger with Foccacia Bread and Chunky Chips