Here are five kinds of yummy muffin.
- 150 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 85 g caster sugar
- 85 g butter (melted and cooled slightly)
- 1 egg
- 4 tblsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tblsp natural yoghurt
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (350°F/Gas 4). Line a muffin tin with paper muffin cases.
- Put the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Mix them together.
- In another bowl, put the butter, egg, milk, vanilla and yoghurt and whisk them together.
- Pour the whisked butter mixture onto the flour mixture.
- Stir everything together. Be careful not to over mix - there should be a few lumps.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes until risen and firm to the touch. Cool for 5 minutes in the tin, then remove and put on a wire rack to cool completely.
- If you are using different ingredients to flavour these, add them at step 2 above.
- Different Flavours:
- Spicy Apple and Raisin:
- Add 1½ tsp mixed spice, 60g raisins, and ½ peeled and chopped apple.
- Orange and Cranberry:
- Add 60g dried cranberries and the zest of 1 orange to the flour. Replace the milk with 4 tbsp orange juice.
- Double Chocolate:
- Replace 30g flour with 30g cocoa powder. Replace the caster sugar with soft light brown sugar. Add 85g chopped milk chocolate to the flour. Increase the milk to 5 tbsp.
- Lemon and Blueberry:
- Add 85g flour with 30g cocoa powder. Replace the caster sugar with soft light brown sugar. Add 85g chopped milk chocolate to the flour. Increase the milk to 5 tbsp.