Fair City's Ciara O'Callaghan serves up this tasty treat on The Restaurant.
- 4 cooking apples
- 1 water
- 1 lemon juice
- 3 whole cloves
- 50 g brown demerara sugar
- 200 g blackberries
- 25 ml port (late bottle vintage preferably)
- 110 g mascarpone cheese
- 25 ml cream
- 110 g chopped hazelnuts
- for the crumble:
- 200 g white breadcrumbs
- 40 g butter
- ¼ teaspoon powdered cinnamon
- fresh nutmeg
- 1 tblsp brown sugar
- for the ginger crème anglaise:
- 150 ml cream
- 150 ml milk
- 50 g sugar
- 3 free range egg yolks
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4.
- Peel, core and roughly chop the apples and put them in a saucepan with the water, lemon juice, cloves and sugar. Bring to just under the boil and simmer until soft. Then remove the cloves and beat the apples gently with a wooden spoon to remove any lumps. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile melt the butter in a frying pan and add the breadcrumbs, fry gently until golden brown. Stir in the cinnamon, a few gratings of fresh nutmeg and the brown sugar and set aside to cool.
- Place the blackberries in the port and cook them gently for 2-3 minutes, then set aside to cool.
- To make the crème Anglaise, place the cream, milk and ginger in a saucepan and bring to just under a boil. In a bowl whisk the sugar and egg yolks together until they are pale and thick. Pour the hot cream mixture onto the sugar and eggs, whisking constantly. Then strain the mixture back into a clean saucepan and cook over a low heat, stirring all the time with a wooden spoon until the mixture begins to thicken and coats the back of the spoon.
- For the Mascarpone cream beat the cheese and cream together until smooth and add the icing sugar.
- To assemble the dish, place some fried crumbs at the bottom of a buttered serving dish. Place some cooked apple on top, and then a layer of blackberries and another layer of apple. Top everything with crumbs and sprinkle the chopped hazelnuts on top. Then bake in the pre-heated oven for 15-20 minutes until the topping is golden and crispy.
- Sprinkle the crumbles with the chopped hazelnuts and serve with Mascarpone cream and ginger crème Anglaise.
More by Ciara O'Callaghan:
- Bellingham Blue Cheese And Pear Salad
- Baked Turbot With Braised Fennel And Vine Tomatoes
- Beef Consommé With Foie Gras Profiteroles