Fair City's Ciara O'Callaghan serves up loin of lamb on The Restaurant.
- 1.5 kg loin of lamb (boned)
- 25 ml olive oil
- 25 g plain flour
- 12 baby white onions
- 200 g baby carrots
- for the stuffing:
- 1 onion (peeled and diced)
- 25 g butter
- 125 g breadcrumbs
- 2 tblsp chopped herbs
- 1 orange (juices and zest)
- 1 free range egg, beaten
- for the gravy:
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 flour
- 250 ml meat stock
- 1-2 tablespoons redcurrant jelly
- 1 orange (juice only)
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4.
- Cook the onion in the butter over a medium heat until soft, but not brown. Place the breadcrumbs, chopped herbs and orange zest in a bowl and season well. Stir in the onion mixture and then add the orange juice and bind the mixture with half the beaten egg.
- Spread this mixture over the inside of the meat, roll it up and tie it securely with string. Place the flour on a large plate and season well. Roll the loin in the flour coating it evently and then brush the skin with the rest of the beaten egg and roll in the rest of the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the olive oil in a tray until smoking and then place the loin on top, roll it in the oil, coating it evenly. Then place in the pre-heated oven for 60-90 minutes, depending on how well cooked you like it.
- When the meat is cooked, remove the string and keep in a warm place to rest. To make the gravy, remove the excess oil from the baking tray and toss in the sliced onion and sauté gently until they brown. Stir in the flour, stock and redcurrant jelly and bring everything to just under a boil and leave the stock to reduce. When the sauce is the consistency you require, add the orange juice and strain and keep warm until serving.
- Fry off the baby onions with some oil until soft and cook the carrots insome sparkling water until just tender. Then cut a portion of the lamb and plate up, and drizzle with some of the gravy. Place some carrots and onions alongside and serve immediately.
More by Ciara O'Callaghan:
- Bellingham Blue Cheese And Pear Salad
- Baked Turbot With Braised Fennel And Vine Tomatoes
- Beef Consommé With Foie Gras Profiteroles