Medium one pot wonder.
- 4 tblsp sunflower oil
- 3 tsp carom seeds,
- 1 tsp turmeric,
- 2 tsp ground coriander,
- 1 tsp cumin, 2 tsp fennel seeds,
- 1 heaped tsp white pepper,
- 0.5 tsp chilli flakes,
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tins butter beans (drained, or 250g dry beans soaked in 1ltr of cold water overnight)
- 120 g sultanas
- 20 g sugar
- lemon ½, juice and zest
- 250 ml vegetable stock
- fresh coriander (good handful, roughly chopped)
- Take a large mixing bowl, pop the (drained) beans, sultanas, sugar, lemon juice, zest into it and stir gently to combine; you’ll need to be careful not to break up the beans. Set aside.
- Then, place a heavy bottomed, large pan or casserole on to a medium high flame, add the oil and heat for a moment.
- Pour your packet of GREEN SAFFRON Dhuli Kismis Spice Mix into the pan and stir immediately, just two or three times.
- Pour all the ingredients from the bowl into the hot, spicy oil and stir gently once or twice to combine all the ingredients.
- Add the vegetable stock, bring to simmer then turn down the heat and allow to bubble with the lid off for about 5 minutes* if you’re using tinned butter beans, or until you have a good, thick gravy. Turn off the heat…
- *NB it will take about 30mins if you’re using dried, soaked beans. But keep simmering with the lid on the pan until the beans are soft to the bite, or cooked to your own preference. Just make sure to add a little stock from time to time if the pan starts to get too dry….
- 7. Sprinkle with the fresh coriander, stir and serve immediately. Simple!
- Serving suggestions
- Serve with mounds of Green Saffron’s fluffy Aged Basmati rice or Naan or serve a side dish to accompany another of your favourite Green Saffron dishes.
More by Arun Kapil:
- Cauliflower 'Chips': Arun Kapil Today show recipe
- Sofa Chicken: Arun Kapil's Today recipe
- One week 'til Pancake Tuesday: Traditional Pancake