A simple, easy and healthy way to prepare eggs.
- Eggs for poaching should be as fresh as possible, otherwise the white tends to come apart from the yolk.
- The French method is best: fill a frying pan or sauté pan three-quarters full of water, and add 1 tablespoon of vinegar and a half teaspoon of salt (this helps the whites to harden).
- Bring the water just to boiling point.
- Break the egg onto a saucer, then stir the water round until you've made a small 'whirlpool'.
- Slide the egg into this, and the circular or oval shape will be preserved.
- Leave to poach for 3 minutes before lifting out with an egg-slice and draining before serving.