A sweet treat to start the day.
- 4 tblsp butter
- 2 tblsp vegetable oil
- 225 g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 225 g plain flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 0.25 tsp ground nutmeg
- 125 ml milk
- 75 g melted butter
- 1 tsp powdered cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to moderate 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
- Grease 12 cake patty tins with 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Set the greased tins aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat together the remaining butter, the vegetable oil, half of the sugar and the egg with a wooden spoon or electric hand beater until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg into another bowl.
- Beat the flour mixture and the milk into the egg-and-fat mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into the greased patty tins, filling them two-thirds full.
- Place the tins in the oven and bake for 25 minutes, or until the buns are a light brown colour.
- Remove the tins from the oven and, with a palette knife, ease the buns out of the tins onto a wire rack.
- Brush with the melted butter and sprinkle with the remaining sugar and cinnamon.