Great with torilla chips.
- 1 shallot
- 2 cloves garlic
- handful of fresh basil leaves, plus extra, to garnish
- 500 g ripe tomatoes (or a drained 400g can of plum tomatoes)
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 2 green chillies
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Peel and halve the shallot and garlic cloves and put them in a blender with the basil leaves.
- Whiz until they're finely chopped.
- Halve the tomatoes and add to the mixture.
- Pulse the power until the mixture is well blended and the tomatoes are finely chopped.
- With the blender on slow speed, gradually add the olive oil.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Scrape the mixture into a bowl.
- Halve the chillies lengthways and remove the seeds.
- Finely slice them across into tiny strips and stir them into the tomato mixture.
- Serve at room temperature garnished, if you like, with some torn basil leaves.