A classic Spanish dish.
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 1 small oven-ready chicken (cut into 8 portions)
- 125 g fat pork or bacon (diced)
- 1 large spanish onion (chopped)
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 500 g tomatoes (skinned and chopped)
- 1 red pepper (cored, deseeded and sliced)
- 250-300 g arborio rice
- 600 ml water
- ¼ teaspoon saffron threads or powdered saffron
- 75 g chorizo sausage (or any spiced sausage, thinly sliced)
- 12 cooked mussels on their half shells
- 12 large cooked peeled prawns (deveined)
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a paella pan, or a large, deep frying pan, add the chicken and pork or bacon, and fry until golden and nearly tender. Remove from the pan, add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Put in the tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes, then add the red pepper and rice.
- Continue to stir over a gentle heat for 1-2 minutes, mixing the rice with the onion mixture. Boil the measured water, add the saffron and pour over the rice. Season lightly. Cook steadily until the rice is almost tender. Stir from time to time and make sure that you check the amount of liquid regularly. If necessary, add more boiling water.
- Return the chicken and pork or bacon to the pan and continue cooking until almost ready to serve. Add the sausage to the pan with the mussels and prawns and any extra seasoning required. Cook for 5-7 minutes, then serve straight from the pan.