Make a simple French onion soup.
- 4 large onions (peeled and sliced)
- 2 tblsp oil or butter
- 2 level tablespoons flour
- 1.8 l beef stock
- 6 tblsp cheddar cheese (grated)
- salt and pepper
- pinch of sugar
- 6 slices vienna loaf
- The method is wickedly simple: soften the thinly sliced onions in the oil or butter without letting them brown.
- Add freshly ground black pepper and a little salt (the cheese which will be added later is fairly salty so don’t overdo it!) and the flour, mixing well.
- Slowly add the stock until the mixture is smooth and beginning to bubble.
- Cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- While you're waiting, lightly toast the bread and grate the cheese.
- Pour the soup into bowls, put a slice of cheese-topped toast on each and put under a hot grill to melt and brown.
- Vive la difference!