A wonderful tasty pudding.
- 350 g cooking apples (peeled, cored and sliced)
- 75 g brown sugar
- finely grated rind of half a lemon
- 2 tblsp water
- 75 g shortcrust pastry
- 3 tblsp orange marmalade
- 2 medium eggs
- 25 g cornflour
- 25 g caster sugar
- 250 ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 4 tblsp caster sugar
- Stew the apples in the water with the brown sugar and lemon rind, until soft.
- Roll out the pastry thinly; dampen the edge of a pie dish and line with the pastry.
- Mix the stewed apples with the marmalade and pour into the dish.
- Beat the egg yolks, sugar and cornflour together until thick and creamy.
- Bring the milk and vanilla essence to the boil and pour gradually onto the egg mixture, beating all the while.
- Return to the pan and bring back to the boil.
- Pour this custard mixture over the apples and bake for 35 minutes in a moderate oven, 200°C (400°F/Gas 6).
- Whip the egg whites until stiff, adding the caster sugar slowly, and pile the meringue on top of the pudding.
- Allow to set in a cooler oven, 150°C (300°F/Gas 2) for about 30 minutes.