Why not try and make a delicious beef stew?
- 1.35 kg stewing beef (cubed)
- 4 medium onions (sliced)
- 50 g butter
- 285 ml ale (e.g. smithwicks)
- 1 tsp french mustard
- 1 tblsp red wine vinegar
- 1 heaped tablespoon flour
- 1 level tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 285 ml beef stock
- pinch of dried or sprig of fresh thyme
- salt and black pepper
- Melt the butter in a frying pan and fry the sliced onions until golden, then put into a casserole.
- Add the beef to the pan and brown with the bay leaves.
- Sprinkle the flour over, then add the beer and stock.
- Season it, adding the sugar, herbs and mustard.
- Cover the casserole and cook in a slow oven 160°C (325°F/Gas 3) for one and a half hours.
- Add the vinegar just before serving.
- Try boiled spuds and any salad you can think of to accompany it.