Make some elegant fruit tarts.
- 400 g bought puff pastry
- 800 g mixed fresh fruit such as apricots, plums, peaches, blueberries, blackberries etc
- 50 g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- icing sugar (enough to sprinkle on the fruit)
- 4 tblsp apricot jam (or raspberry or strawberry, depending on what fruits you're using)
- 1 tblsp boiling water
- 1 tblsp lemon juice
- Lightly grease a 23cm/9inch square baking tin.
- Rolling out the puff pastry into a 30cm/11inch square and use it to line the tin.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F/Gas 7) and cover the pastry base with baking parchment or greaseproof paper.
- Fill with dried beans, lentils or rice and bake 'blind' in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the fruit by washing, peeling and de-seeding where necessary, and sprinkle with caster sugar.
- Remove the paper and beans, and brush the pastry with beaten egg.
- Lightly dust with icing sugar and return to the oven for a further 5 minutes to render it shiny and brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool, before lifting the pastry base carefully from the tin.
- Spread half the jam over the pastry and make a glaze with the remainder by mixing with the boiling water and lemon juice, and beating well to combine.
- Arrange the fruit as you like on the pastry and brush all over with the glaze.
- Chill until ready to serve with whipped cream!