- 3 egg whites
- 175 g caster sugar
- 20cm/8inch sponge flan case
- 1 kiwi fruit (peeled and chopped)
- 2 oranges (peeled and segmented)
- 225 g frozen or tinned and drained strawberries
- 550 ml vanilla ice cream
- Preheat the oven to 230°C (450°F/Gas 8).
- Whip the egg whites in a mixing bowl until stiff and forming peaks.
- Slowly beat in the sugar, a little at a time, until the meringue is smooth, thick and shiny.
- Put the flan on a baking sheet and arrange the kiwi, orange and strawberries on top.
- Spoon the ice cream over the fruit.
- Spoon the meringue into a piping bag, and pipe in swirls over the ice cream, making sure there are no gaps, as the meringue protects the ice cream from the heat.
- Immediately put in the oven and bake for 4 minutes, or until the meringue is lightly browned.
- Serve at once.