- 30 g butter
- 2 streaky rashers bacon
- 1 large onion (peeled and chopped)
- 1 large carrot (scraped and chopped)
- 1 celery stick (roughly chopped)
- 450 g tomatoes (roughly chopped)
- 400 g tin of tomatoes
- 850 ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 bouquet garni
- 150 ml cream
- sprigs of rosemary (or parsley) to garnish
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and sauté the bacon, onion, carrot and celery over a low heat for 5 minutes, without browning.
- Add all the tomatoes, juice included, and the stock and bring to the boil.
- Add the bouquet garni, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about an hour or until the vegetables are softened.
- Remove the bouquet garni, cool the soup and give it a whiz in your blender and pour into a clean saucepan.
- When you want to serve it, reheat the soup and pour it into bowls or a tureen.
- Swirl in the cream and garnish with the rosemary sprigs.
- If you don't have rosemary, sprigs of parsley will do just as well.