- Use a small omelette pan, as the depth is an advantage.
- Put half an inch/1cm of oil in the pan and heat until it is just sending off a pale blue smoke.
- Have a saucer beside you, and break each egg into the saucer before sliding into the oil.
- Take a metal spoon, put it into the hot oil for a second, and then use it to baste a little of the white of the egg over the yolk.
- Baste a second time, (turning the egg over carefully if you like it cooked 'over easy').
- Lift with an egg-slice and drain on absorbent paper.