- 700 g potatoes
- 400 g baby turnip
- 75 g butter
- 750 ml (to 1l) stock
- salt and pepper
- Wash and peel the potatoes.
- Wash and peel the turnips.
- Slice potatoes and turnips evenly.
- Rub the inside of the baking dish with butter - liberally.
- Put a layer of potatoes into the baking dish then a layer of turnip, continue until all the potatoes are used and the dish is full.
- Sprinkle the butter over the top layer.
- Pour in stock into the dish until it’s just 1cm below the top of the dish.
- Cover with tinfoil and put into the oven - which in our case was a mud oven with a little door. You may prefer to use a conventional oven with a thermostat!
- Cook at 200°C for 35-45 minutes depending on your oven.
- Check occasionally to ensure that the liquid hasn’t evaporated off. Add a little more if it has.
- Serve with green garden salad.
Richard says: As the main ingredients came straight from the garden this dish was virtually free and fed all the crew and the volunteers that were on the allotment that day, 15 people in total!