- 400 g streaky bacon
- 200 g mushroom
- 1/4 head of cabbage
- 200 g leeks
- 100 g plain flour
- 25 g butter
- 500 ml chicken stock cube
- 1.20 kg potatoes
- 50 g self raising flour
- Pie Filling:
- Begin by heating the stock in a pot and keep it hot until ready to use.
- Cut the bacon into thin strip(lardoons) and fry in a hot pan until the bacon starts to brown.
- Now add the butter to the pan.
- Once the butter has melted add the sliced mushrooms to the pan, continue to fry over a high heat until the mushrooms soften.
- Now add the flour and reduce the heat.
- Mix well ensuring the flour has soaked up all the juices.
- Now add a little of the stock to the pan mixing well as you add it to avoid lumps.
- Continue adding the stock and and stirring until it has all ben added.
- Now add the finely sliced cabbage and leeks and continue to simmer for 5-10 minutes or until the leeks and cabbage have softened.
- You can now add this mix to your pie dish. I think it’s nice to use individual pie dishes but of course you can use just one large dish
- Boxty Potatoes
- Cut half the potatoes into quarters and boil in salted water until cooked (12-15 minutes.)
- Drain, mash and place in a large bowl.
- Using a large holes grater, grate the remaining potatoes into a small bowl lined with a cloth.
- Squeeze the cloth to extract as much of the liquid as possible, into the bowl.
- Now add the grated potato to the mashed potato and add a little seasoning along with the self raising flour.
- Heat a large non stick pan and add a little oil.
- Drop the mixture into the pan, spreading it to the size of the pie dish you are using.
- Once it turns golden brown turn and continue to cook until golden on the second side. Remove from the pan and place on top of the mushroom and bacon filling.
- To Serve: For best results, prepare the pie a day in advance and reheat in the oven at 160 for 30 minutes or until hot through. Enjoy!
Use your RTE ID to Join
- Upload your style photos
- Create and save recipes
- Review and Comment
- Have your say