- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 cup wholewheat flour
- ½ cup bran
- 1 tsp bread soda
- pinch salt
- butter milk
- 1 egg
- lemon mayonnaise:
- 2 egg yolks
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- pinch pepper
- 4 to 5 teaspoons lemon juice or white vinegar
- 1-1/2 cups olive or other salad oil
- 4 tsp hot water
- Lightly grease the loaf tin with melted margarine and dust out with whole wheat flour.
- Sieve the plain flour, bread soda and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Mix in the rest of the dry ingredients.
- Make a whole in the middle.
- Pour in butter milk and mix.
- Add one egg and mix again.
- Turn the dough out on to a table or board already dusted with flour and knead lightly.
- Pat the dough into a round loaf. Brush the top with a little beaten egg or milk, and dust with whole wheat flour.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 200°C.
- Lemon Mayonnaise:
- Beat yolks, salt, mustard, sugar, pepper, and 1 teaspoon lemon juice in a small bowl until very thick and pale yellow.
- Add about 1/4 cup oil, drop by drop, beating vigorously all the while. Beat in 1 teaspoon each lemon juice and hot water.
- Add another 1/4 cup oil, a few drops at a time, beating vigorously all the while. Beat in another teaspoon each lemon juice and water.
- Add 1/2 cup oil beating constantly, then mix in remaining lemon juice and water; slowly beat in remaining oil.
- Cover and refrigerate.
Use your RTE ID to Join
- Upload your style photos
- Create and save recipes
- Review and Comment
- Have your say