A great meal for two.
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 2 fillet steaks (about 200g each)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- knob butter
- 1 onion (peeled and finely diced)
- few sprigs thyme
- 1 tblsp cream
- 150 g button mushroom (very finely chopped)
- 4 slices parma ham
- small bunch chopped chives
- 500 g puff pastry
- 2 egg yolks (beaten)
- Heat the olive oil and sear the steaks well. Season and add knob butter.
- Remove from the pan and allow to cool.
- Add the onion, thyme, mushrooms and cream to the pan and cook until soft and until the mixture is quite dry. Allow to cool.
- When both the beef and mushrooms are cool enough to handle, lay three rectangular sheets of cling film onto a work surface and lay 2 slices of Parma ham on top.
- Spread half the mushrooms on top and sprinkle with chives.
- Place the steak in the middle and wrap in the cling film like a money bag.
- Chill for at least an hour.
- Roll out the pastry till 3mm in thickness. Chill for 10 minutes.
- Place the steak in the middle and brush with egg yolk.
- Bring the edges together and then seal up and smooth out the joins with your fingers and water.
- Place the parcel on a small disc of greaseproof, paper seam side down, smooth and mould into a nice round shape and brush with more egg yolk.
- Chill for and hour in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place a non-stick baking tray in the oven to heat up.
- Just before baking, score the pastry and then place on the hot baking tray and cook for about 12 minutes for rare meat, 15 for medium rare etc.
- To serve, allow to rest for a few minutes and then slice in half.
Use your RTE ID to Join
- Upload your style photos
- Create and save recipes
- Review and Comment
- Have your say