- leftover beef (diced)
- leftover vegetables
- leftover sauce
- 200 ml stock from beef brisket
- 250 g button mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 150 g tin of tomatoes
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 onion (peeled and diced)
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 200 g pearl barley (soaked)
- Heat a sauce pot over low heat, cook the onions in a little vegetable oil.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and tomatoes. Season.
- Add the barley, stock and sauce. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the beef, vegetables and potatoes. Place in an ovenproof dish.
- Cover with the puff pastry and brush with hot milk.
- Place in oven at 160°C for 20-30 minutes until pastry is golden and crisp.
This recipe uses leftovers from Slow Roast Brisket of Beef, Glazed Root Vegetables, Colcannon, Tarragon and Tomato Jus.