- for the beef:
- 2½-3kg joint of beef brisket (rolled)
- 4 large carrots (peeled and cut into large dice)
- 2 onions (peeled and sliced thickly)
- 2 cloves of garlic (peeled and diced)
- 2 parsnips (peeled and cut into large dice)
- 450 ml beef stock
- 100 ml red wine
- 100 ml balsamic vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 100 g butter
- for the colcannon:
- 4 large rooster potatoes (peeled and cut into chunks)
- 200 g kale (blanched and chopped)
- 50 ml cream
- 60 g butter
- for the sauce:
- 50g butter
- 2 shallots (peeled and diced)
- 4 tomatoes (peeled, deseeded and diced)
- 100 ml port wine
- 100 ml stock from the beef tray
- 2 tblsp chopped tarragon
- For the Beef:
- Seal the beef joint in a little vegetable oil. Brown on all sides. Season and place in a deep roasting tin on top of the sliced onions.
- Add beef stock, red wine, vinegar and bay leaf.
- Cover with tin foil and place in oven at 120°C for 5 hours.
- Take roasting tray from oven and remove most of juice from tray (strain juice and keep).
- Add butter, carrots, parsnips garlic and shallots, season and place tray back in the oven at 160 degrees for 45 minutes. Halfway through cooking, toss the vegetables.
- Remove meat and let rest. Keep vegetables warm.
- For the Colcannon: Cook potatoes and mash. Add cream, butter and kale. Season.
- For the Sauce: Melt butter in saucepot over low heat. Add shallot, sautéed for 2 minutes. Add beef stock, reduce by half. Add port, simmer for 5 minutes. Add tomato and tarragon. Season.
Use your RTE ID to Join
- Upload your style photos
- Create and save recipes
- Review and Comment
- Have your say