- 1 carrot
- 1 leek
- 2 sticks celery
- 1/2 medium sized onion
- 150 g red lentils
- 4 rashers of bacon
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes (400g)
- 0.75 l vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon of red chilli flakes
- Chop bacon into even sized pieces and quickly fry off in a large saucepan.
- Dice all of the vegetables into bite size pieces.
- Add the vegetables to the pot and cook until the leeks, onions etc begin to soften.
- Next, you should add the crushed chilli flakes, the chopped tomatoes and the vegetable stock.
- Allow the mixture to cook - the carrots will take the longest so that will be a good indication to you.
- You can adjust the consistency of the soup depending on how thick you like it.
- The lentils will thicken the soup considerably.
- Ladle the soup into hot serving bowls and enjoy the delicious yet substantial broth.
- Bon Appetit!
This soup is hearty and nourishing and very quick and easy to make. It is more than suitable to serve as a main course as it has all of the requirements for a balanced meal. Similar to a stew or casserole this broth is wonderful on the next day!