A dinner to treasure.
- 900 g loin of bacon
- 4 tblsp honey
- 2 tblsp water
- 6-8 whole cloves (optional)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 50 g breadcrumbs
- 6 large potatoes (peeled)
- Place the loin of bacon in a large pan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour until completely tender.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
- Place the honey in a pan with the wholegrain mustard and the water then heat gently until dissolved.
- Remove the loin of bacon from the water and leave until cool enough to handle, then trim away the rind and excess fat. Slash the remaining thin layer of fat in a criss-cross pattern and stud with cloves.
- Place the clove-studded loin of bacon in a small roasting tin and brush all over with the honey glaze, pouring any remainder around the joint. Bake for 15-20 minutes until completely heated through and well glazed, basting occasionally.
- Peel, boil and mash the potatoes. Season the potatoes when mashing and add a little bit of butter as well for a richer flavour. Mix in some wholegrain mustard.
- Serve the bacon in thin slices with some of the wholegrain mustard mashed potatoes and some boiled cabbage. Also serve some of the delicious mushroom cream sauce.
More by Kevin Dundon:
- Salmon Fillet, Chili Pesto: Today, Kevin Dundon
- Indulgent Eggnog: What it is & how to make it!
- Kevin Dundon's Christmas Turkey: Today Show