A warming treat of apple compote, pudding and creamy custard.
- apple compote:
- 4 large cooking apples
- 75 g caster sugar
- 2 tblsp water
- pinch cinnamon
- pudding mixture
- 110 g brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 225 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch cinnamon
- 0.5 pint milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tblsp caster sugar
- 110 g butter
- Peel, core and slice the apples and put them into a large saucepan with the sugar and the water and cook them for 3-4 minutes until they're beginning to turn mushy but not completely stewed.
- Add the cinnamon and transfer to a casserole or baking dish.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F/Gas Mark 3).
- Beat the butter and brown sugar together until smooth.
- Sieve the baking powder, plain flour and ground cinnamon together.
- Add the eggs to the butter mixture then add in the dry ingredients.
- Mix until everything is well incorporated.
- Spread the sponge mixture on top of the apples and pop into the oven on the middle shelf for approximately 35-45 minutes or until the mixture is set in the centre and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- To make the sauce: Scald the milk in a saucepan (if the budget allowed you could pop in a ½ vanilla pod or a couple of drops of vanilla extract)
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until light in colour.
- Pour scalded milk onto the eggs and then return the entire mixture to a saucepan and cook gently, stirring continuously, until the mixture is thickened.
- To serve: Dust the eve’s pudding with icing sugar and pour the fresh egg custard on top.
More by Kevin Dundon:
- Salmon Fillet, Chili Pesto: Today, Kevin Dundon
- Indulgent Eggnog: What it is & how to make it!
- Kevin Dundon's Christmas Turkey: Today Show