An excellent, healthy treat for children and adults alike...
- 1 tblsp dried rose petals
- ½ tsp white pepper
- ½ tblsp allspice
- ½ tblsp cassia
- ½ of a star anise
- 1 vanilla pod (cut in half and beans scraped out of both halves)
- 1 tsp mango powder
- 600 g selection of fruit (mix of pineapple, fresh or from a tin and drained is perfect, plums, apricots, nectarines, seedless grapes, banana, peach)
- 200 g honey or maple syrup
- 10 wooden skewers
- fresh mint (roughly chopped)
- Grind all the spices in a pestle and mortar or electric grinder to a coarse powder.
- Pour the spices into a large mixing bowl, add the vanilla beans and mango powder, then mix to combine all the flavours.
- Chop the fruit into chunks, about 3cm cubes.
- Add the fruit cubes to the ‘spice bowl’ and stir around to thoroughly coat each piece.
- Carefully push alternate fruit cubes onto the skewers, using up the fruit evenly amongst the 10 skewers.
- Drizzle a couple of teaspoons of maple syrup (or honey) over each fruit skewer so as to give each one a light gloopy gloss.
- Pop onto a medium high shelf on your BBQ and cook for 1 to 1½mins, turning once, until the fruit is just soft and the syrup not burnt!
- Arrange around a circular serving platter, drizzle with a more syrup (or honey) and scatter the mint over, serve immediately!
Chef's Tip: You could alternatively pop them onto a solid baking tray and into an oven set at 230° or gas mark 8 for a minute or so, turning only once.