With a twist on traditional mash.
- 250 g fillet steak
- 125 g spinach
- 1 piece of nutmeg
- 6 spears asparagus
- 300 g butter
- 1 tblsp white wine vinegar
- 3 tblsp tarragon
- decorative herbs
- 8 new potatoes
- 1 vanilla pod
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 3 cloves garlic
- maybe some colour ( sweet potato crisp)
- 2 egg yolks
- fresh cream
- Peel potatoes and boil for 15 minutes.
- Peel and blanch asparagus for 2 minutes. Shock in iced water and dry.
- Wash spinach.
- Make béarnaise sauce - (5 mins)
- Melt 200g butter for clarified butter. Reduce white wine vinegar, whisk with 2 egg yolks over heat, add in clarified butter and whisk till thick, add tarragon and a tsp of water.
- Seal steak for 3 minutes. Cook steak in oven for 10 mins. Rest steak for 5 minutes and season.
- Sautee spinach with olive oil, butter, garlic and nutmeg.
- Puree potato with vanilla pod and essence.
- Finish steak on hot pan, briefly rest, and carve.
- Plate potato, asparagus and spinach.
- Top asparagus with steak.
- Finish with herbs and béarnaise sauce.
By Gavin Murphy for Masterchef Ireland