The quintessential spice rub for fish and chicken
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp toasted cumin
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp toasted star anise
- 1 tsp toasted white sesame seeds
- 1 tsp mango powder
- 1 tsp icing sugar
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
- 2 tsp oregano (dried)
- 1 whole fresh, free range chicken or 6 fish fillets (of your favourite type of fish)
- 2 tblsp rapeseed oil (sunflower or vegetable oil is fine)
- Grind all the spices in a pestle and mortar or electric grinder to a coarse powder.
- Pour the spices into a large mixing bowl, add the mango powder, lemon zest, parmesan and oregano, then mix to combine all the flavours.
- Rub the skin of the chicken with the oil.
- Sprinkle your freshly made spice mix all over the chicken.
- Pop the chicken into the oven and roast until cooked; 180°C (Gas 5) for 20mins per 500g and 20 min extra i.e. a 2kg chicken would take 1½ hours.
- If you’re using fresh fish fillets, sprinkle a serving plate with the mix, then dip each side of each fillet into the mix to evenly coat both sides, then simply BBQ, fry or grill until only just cooked, about 1½mins for each side of the fillet…simple and beautiful!
More by Arun Kapil:
- One week 'til Pancake Tuesday: Traditional Pancake
- Baked Smoked Haddock Vegetable Kedgeree: Today
- Poached Supreme, Roast Roots, Clementine and Cardamom