A simple but delicious way to prepare a roast chicken.
- 3.5 lb full chicken approx
- 4 oz butter
- 1 lemon (zest)
- 1.5 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 200 ml white wine
- 3 whole carrots
- 2 whole leeks
- 2 onions
- 2 heads broccoli
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Pick the thyme leaves keeping the stem and finely grate the lemon, keeping the lemon also.
- Mix the soft butter with the lemon jest and thyme, season slightly.
- Create a little pocket from the neck end of the chicken under the skin and place 1 dessert spoon of the flavoured butter under each breast.
- Season the cavity of the chicken, pop in the lemon which is cut in half and the thyme sprigs.
- Preferably using gloves rub the remaining butter all over the chicken skin and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Place the carrot, leek and onion in the bottom of a suitable sized roasting dish then place the chicken on top.
- Pour the wine into the tray and cover with tin foil.
- Place in a preheated oven at 190c for 50 minutes, by doing so the wine and natural juices will begin to steam the chicken keeping it moist and gently cooking the vegetables.
- Now remove the foil, add in the brocolli and allow the chicken to cook for a further 45 minutes uncovered, this will colour the chicken nicely and the skin will crisp up.
- Allow the chicken to rest a little in a warm place whilst you make a little gravy from the cooking juices that remain in the pan, this can be achieved by adding 1 oz of flour and 1 oz of butter to a saucepan to form a roux, pour in all the cooking juices which will include the flavours of the butter, wine, chicken juices etc to form a nice sauce.
- This sauce will be pale in colour so you can add a little dash of gravy browning to colour it nicely – this sauce unlike commercial gravies will have a mild flavour to complement the flavours of the roast chicken and not over power it!
More by Phelim Byrne:
- Marinated Roast Pork Fillet in Chilli and Ginger
- Handmade decadent assorted Chocolate Truffles
- Herbed Sardine Humus with Fresh Tomato Bruschetta