Des Cahill cooks a delicious Cashel Blue cheese salad.
- 8 slices of pancetta (cut into 2-inch strips)
- 4 slices of crusty loaf cut into cubes
- 40 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 10 ml aged balsamic vinegar
- 110 g mixed baby leaves (washed)
- 1 punnet mustard cress
- 10 g toasted pine nuts
- 110 g cashel blue cheese (roughly crumbled)
- 1 large red apple (cored and chopped)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C/Gas 4.
- Place the Pancetta on an oven tray, and bake in the pre-heated oven for 5-10 minutes until crispy. Set aside and keep warm.
- Heat half the olive oil in a large frying pan. Stir in the croutons and season with salt and pepper. Place the pan in the oven 10 minutes or until the croutons are golden on both sides, keep warm.
- Whisk the rest of the olive oil and vinegar in a small bowl and season to taste. Place the salad leaves and mustard cress in a bowl and drizzle with the dressing. Toss in the pine nuts, Cashel Blue, chopped apples and Pancetta and toss gently.
- Divide the salad among four plates and serve immediately.
More by Des Cahill:
- Lamb En Croute, Roasted Root Vegetables with Rosemary and Garlic
- Warm Chicken Salad with Honey and Mustard Dressing, Toasted Pine Nuts and Cashel Blue Cheese
- Creamy White Chocolate Mousse and Strawberry Ripple