Make this healthy vegetarian dish this Christmas for a change.
- 4 red onions cut in quarters
- 4 medium carrots (sliced in half and cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 2 sweet potatoes (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 celeriac (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 cauliflower broken into florets
- 200 g button mushrooms wiped clean (leave whole)
- 2 tblsp extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- fresh sage, parsley and thyme finely chopped black pepper
- for the cream cheese pastry:
- 250 g whole meal spelt flour
- pinch sea salt
- 3 tblsp unsalted butter
- 5 tblsp cream cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a large casserole pot.
- Add the onions and sauté for two or three minutes.
- Add the carrots, celeriac and one inch of water and a pinch of sea salt.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat, Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower, sweet potato and the garlic and herbs. Cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 more minutes until the vegetables are tender but not soft.
- Stir in the flour and tahini (it's a sauce) and check the seasoning.
- Place in an oven proof casserole dish.
- For the Cream cheese pastry:
- Mix the flour and salt in a bowl and rub in the butter.
- Mix in the cream cheese with your fingers until a dough forms. Wrap in cling film and place in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Flour the work surface and roll out the pastry until 1/4 inch thick.
- Place over the casserole of stew and seal the edges.
- Brush with beaten egg and prick with a fork.
- Bake in the oven 190°C (375°F) until golden, approx. 25minutes.
More by Lorraine Fitzmaurice:
- Red Cabbage, Apple: St Patrick's Day Alternative
- Vegetable and Tofu Kebabs with Spicy Peanut Sauce
- Muffuletta Sandwich