This is lovely accompaniment to some goats cheese grilled on top of a slice of thick toast, with some delicate peppery leaves, like rocket and mizuna.
- 2 large beetroot
- olive oil
- 100 g puy lentils
- 250 ml red wine
- 1 tblsp (heaped) honey
- 1 red onion (peeled and finely diced)
- 1 tblsp balsamic vinegar
- 100 ml olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 160°C then rub the beetroot with a little olive oil, wrap the beetroot in tin foil and bake for about 40 minutes until tender-ish.
- Meanwhile, soak the lentils for ten minutes if possible, rinse well and cook in a saucepan, well covered with water.
- Add a big pinch of salt to the cooking water. Bring up to the boil and gently simmer for 10-20 minutes. When they are just soft, drain and rinse under cold water to refresh. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the red wine in a saucepan and boil until reduced by half. Take off the heat, add the honey, onion and balsamic and then slowly whisk in the olive oil.
- Slice the skin off the beetroot, then cut into small dice and add to the lentils and add the vinaigrette. Mix well and serve whilst still warm.
More by Domini Kemp:
- Asian Lamb Stir-Fry: Domini Kemp
- Blackberry Pancakes: The Ketogenic Kitchen
- Rhubarb Clafoutis: Domini Kemp, Today show