A flavoursome fish dish.
- 1 fillet of halibut
- 2 tblsp rapeseed oil
- 200 g cooked chickpeas
- 120 ml light chicken stock
- 2 tblsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small shallots
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tblsp red wine vinegar
- 100 g cooking chorizo
- 1 tblsp chopped fresh coriander
- 1 lemon
- spice mix (1 tsp fennel seeds, 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, 1 tsp cumin seeds, seeds of 4 cardamon pods, 1.2 cm piece of cinnamon, 2 cloves, 5 black peppercorns)
- 1 aubergine
- 1 small red onion
- 2 sticks of celery
- ½ yellow pepper
- ½ red pepper
- 3 tblsp olive oil
- 60 ml water
- 1.5 tblsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 2 tsp raisins
- 7 green pitted olives
- 2 tsp capers
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 2 tsp pine kernels
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Large frying pan on to low heat and add olive oil (2 minutes).
- Prepare aubergine, onion, celery, red pepper and yellow pepper and add to frying pan with seasoning (5 minutes). Stir throughout other processes so that vegetables do not discolour.
- Gently heat spices in small frying pan and then ground in pestle & mortar. Chop garlic (4 minutes).
- Dry fry pine nuts (4 minutes).
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil, chop shallots and add to frying pan till softened. At the same time put chickpeas in food processor and whizz (may use potato ricer), slowly adding stock to create a mash (7 minutes)
- Add garlic and spice mix and continue to cook (2 minutes)
- Add onion mix to chickpeas and whizz some more adding more extra virgin olive oil and season. Transfer to small saucepan. (2 minutes)
- Continue stirring Caponata and after about 30 minutes of total cooking time add water, vinegar, sugar, tomato puree and raisins into a small frying pan. Bring to boil and simmer for two minutes. Meanwhile chop olives and anchovies and stir in to mixture. After approx. 15 seconds tip mixture into the vegetables and stir for a few seconds. Tip into a small bowl, add pine kernels and mix. (5 minutes)
- Heat the small frying pan add rapeseed oil and heat until just smoking. Meanwhile season halibut fillet and place skin side down in pan for two minutes. Then transfer to oven for 4 – 5 minutes. Whilst cooking heat up chickpea mash, chop coriander and add to mash. Check seasoning and add a squeeze of lemon. When fish is in the oven, chop the chorizo and dry fry over a high heat for I minute. Then add to the mash. (12 minutes)
- Plate up caponata and chick pea mash. Then add fillet of halibut (4 minutes).
By Nicholas Greig for Masterchef Ireland.