Golden brown heaven!
- for the pecan nut pastry:
- 225 g plain flour
- 50 g pecan nuts
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 75 g chilled butter
- 1 medium egg
- 1 tblsp cold water
- for the filling:
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 300 g sweet potato (peeled and cut into 1cm dice)
- ½ medium red onion (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 1 tblsp sage, rosemary and thyme leaves (chopped)
- 125 g goat's cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg yolk and 1 tablespoon of cold water (mixed)
- For the Pecan Nut Pastry:
- Blend the flour, pecan nuts and salt to fine powder in a food processor. Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Mix in the egg and water until the mixture comes together. Wrap in clingfilm and chill.
- For the Filling:
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan and when hot add the sweet potatoes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to roasting tin. Roast for 10 minutes or until soft.
- Heat the remaining oil in a saucepan and add the onion and garlic. Cook until soft and add the herbs - cook for a further minute.
- Add to sweet potatoes, check seasoning and cool. Mix in the goat's cheese.
- Lower oven to 180°C to bake the pies.
- Divide the pastry into 8 pieces and roll each piece into a ball.
- Roll each ball into a circle about 8cm in diameter. Trim around the edges or just go for the rustic look!
- Brush the edges with the egg yolk mixture and dollop some sweet potato in the middle.
- Fold over the pastry into semi circle, sealing the edges well.
- Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Place on a baking tray lined with non-stick parchment paper, brush with egg yolk and bake in 180oc oven until golden brown - about 20 minutes.
More by Paula McIntyre:
- Pizza Bianco with grilled chicken, scallions and fontina cheese with roast tomato dressing
- Ginger Cake with Orange Praline Frosting and Plums Roasted with Orange Liqueur
- Roast Onion Dip