Enchiladas are stuffed flour tortillas (either wheat or corn) covered with enchilada sauce and cheese and baked.
- 1 tin of pinto beans or red kidney beans
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 1 red chilli
- ¼ teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 2 large handfuls of grated mature cheddar cheese(eg. maryland cheddar)
- 1 lb enchilada sauce (recipe below if you want to make fresh)
- 2 flour tortillas
- for the enchilada sauce:
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 red chillies (de-seeded and chopped)
- ½ teaspoon of cumin powder
- 1 lb tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tblsp plain flour
- 250 ml water
- extra virgin olive oil
- Sauté the onion in a little sunflower or peanut oil until soft. Deseed and chop the chilli and add to the onion along with the cumin powder and beans.
- Mix the stock cube in a cup of hot water and add to the pot. Cover and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes.
- Mash with a potato masher until 2/3 of the beans are crushed. Season.
- Warm the tortillas on a pan or in a microwave. Place 1 of the tortillas onto a flat surface. Spread some of the enchilada sauce over 1 side of the tortilla.
- Place ½ the bean mixture in the centre of the tortilla. Sprinkle with ¼ of the cheese. Fold up the bottom of the tortilla and fold over both sides and then fold down the top. Turn over and secure seam side down and repeat.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of sauce into an oven proof dish. Place the prepared enchiladas seam side down on top of the sauce. Cover with the remaining sauce and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes. Oven 190°C (375°F/Gas 5).
- Serve with fried rice, guacamole and salsa.
- For the Enchilada Sauce: Sauté the onion in a little olive oil until soft. Add the garlic and chilli.
- Sauté for a further 2 minutes. Add the cumin powder, tomatoes, flour and water. Stir well to prevent lumps. Season well with salt.
- Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Blend.
More by Lorraine Fitzmaurice:
- Vegetable and Tofu Kebabs with Spicy Peanut Sauce
- Muffuletta Sandwich
- Halloumi and baby potato skewers