This classic French salad is a surefire winner at the dinner table.
- 200 g tin tuna or 300g fresh tuna
- 50 g green beans (topped and tailed cut in rounds)
- 3-4 new potatoes (boiled, skinned and diced)
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 3 tomatoes (peeled, de-seeded and diced)
- 8 black olives (diced)
- finley diced red onion
- 4 quail eggs (boiled for 3 mins and shelled)
- 4 large thin slices of baguette. oven baked to make crisp
- chopped chives, chervil and basil
- lemon zest and juice
- pinch cayenne
- olive oil
- 1 tsp mustard
- pinch sugar
- 2 tblsp mayo
- Prepare the Tuna:
- Remove all and skin. If using fresh tuna, salt with coarse sea salt for 20 mins, rinse and cook tuna on low heat in olive oil for 7-8 mins with garlic herbs. Remove and flake.
- If using tinned, drain the tuna, make sure you use good quality tuna.
- Flake and mix with mayonnaise, some chopped herb, lemon zest and a few drops of juice, season and reserve.
- Prepare all the vegetables:
- Make sure it’s all diced the same approximate size/shape (or you can just chop roughly).
- For the Dressing
- Combine a little garlic crushed, mustard, vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice and seasoning. Blitz with blender or hand blender.
- For the Crouton:
- Cook with a little olive oil and seasoning, place between trays and cook in oven at 160c for 8 mins or so.
- For the Quail eggs:
- Cook for 3 mins, refresh and peel.
- To assemble:
- Mix all the veg, olives and herbs with the dressing. Place tuna, all the veg that has been placed in ring, season egg and finish with crouton.
- For tempura of anchovy use tuna foam.
More by Thomas Haughton:
- Free Range Pot Roast Chicken with Crisp Chicken Skin Crackling, Thyme Roast Potatoes and Glazed Veg
- Bacon and Potato Cake with Cabbage Purée and Caper Mayonnaise
- Bacon and Confit Onion Ballotine with Gribiche Sauce and Potato Dumpling