The prawns are delicious dipped in the chilli jam.
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1-2 red chillies (de-seeded and chopped finely)
- 1 inch ginger (peeled and grated)
- 2 tsp lime rind
- 3 tblsp lime juice
- 24 raw king prawns
- 2 carrots (peeled and sliced into matchstick shapes)
- 3 celery sticks (trimmed and sliced into matchstick shapes)
- 1 red pepper (de-seeded and sliced into matchstick shapes)
- ½ cucumber (sliced into matchstick shapes)
- 12 lettuce leaves such as baby gem or iceberg
- chilli jam
- 2 red chillies (de-seeded and cut into long thin strips)
- 200 g caster sugar
- 225 ml white wine vinegar
- Cut the carrots, celery, cucumber and red pepper into thin matchstick pieces. Place all the prepared vegetables and washed lettuce leaves onto a dish and reserve.
- In a frying pan place the 2 tbsp of oil, add the garlic, chillies and ginger and sauté for one minute, stirring constantly. Add the lime rind and juice and stir until well mixed.
- Add the prawns and cook, stirring for 3-4 minutes or until the prawns have turned pink. Add pepper to taste then drain and place on the serving platter, to be served as 4 portions.
- For the chilli jams place the chillies in a pan with the sugar and vinegar and bring to the boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes or until reduced by half. Remove from the heat and leave to cool completely, then transfer to a bowl and cover with cling film.
- To serve place 3 lettuce leaves on a plate and place some prepared vegetables in each lettuce leaf with 2 prawns, repeat on 4 plates along with 4 dipping bowls of Chilli jam. Decorate with fresh coriander and a sprinkling of paprika.
More by Lorraine Gilligan:
- Lemon tart with a raspberry coulis
- Spiced Chicken Breast, Moroccan Cous Cous, tomato and red onion salsa and cumin and cucumber yogurt