A delicious way to prepare lamb.
- 1 lamb canon
- lamb marinade
- 1 tblsp coriander seeds
- ½ teaspoon maldon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 tblsp red wine vinegar
- 5 tblsp olive oil
- 1 crushed clove of garlic
- ½ lemon (zest and juice)
- 1 anchovy fillet
- 150 ml olive oil
- chopped fresh coriander and mint
- 1 onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tin of tomatoes
- salt, pepper and sugar
- olive oil and a knob of butter
- 100 g couscous
- ½ lemon
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- Heat oven to 180°C.
- Heat olive oil and a knob of butter in saute pan over a gentle heat. Chop onion and peppers and add to pan. Season well and cover with paper lid and sweat gently for about 10 minutes.
- Crush coriander seeds, peppercorns, salt and garlic with pestle and mortar, add vinegar and olive oil and taste. Put in ziplock bag with lamb to allow marinade for a little while.
- Put 100gr couscous in a bowl and pour over 125ml of boiling water, season with salt and pepper and cover with cling film. In dry frying pan toast the pine nuts.
- Check peppers and if soft enough add tin of tomatoes, teaspoon of sugar and basil and cover with lid again for another 5 minutes.
- Make salsa, chop the anchovy fillet, crush garlic and pound with some pepper with pestle and mortar. Add lemon zest, juice and olive oil. Then add chopped mint and coriander and taste, season as necessary. Add more olive oil if not wet enough.
- Take lid off piperonata and allow to reduce increasing the heat if necessary.
- Heat frying pan and sear lamb on both sides. Transfer to baking tray and put in oven for 8 minutes. Take cling film off couscous and loosen couscous rubbing some olive oil through the grains. Dot with knobs of butter and cover with tinfoil. Put it in the oven to heat through.
- Take lamb out to rest and cover with some tinfoil and a clean teatowel to keep warm.
- Pop plate in oven to warm.
- Finish off piperonata, put pinenuts, lemon zest and some lemon juice through couscous and taste. Slice lamb. Mould couscous, put pipperonata on plate and place sliced lamb on top and drizzle with salsa.
By Ruth Wassel for MasterChef Ireland