MasterChef dishes up some Pork and Prawn dumplings.
- 250 g pork mince
- 250 g green prawn (minced)
- 5 oz can of water chestnuts (drained)
- prepared dumpling wrappers
- 1 small bunch garlic chives (spring onions if i cannot find)
- 1 small bunch coriander
- 1 fresh long red chilli (finely sliced and seeded)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- pinch of salt
- 2 tblsp dry sherry (rice wine if i can find it)
- 1 tblsp fish sauce
- 1 tblsp oyster sauce
- ½ tsp of sesame oil
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- cornflour for dusting bench tops
- spray oil for steamer
- optional – canola oil
- optional – 1 litre chicken stock
- optional – 1 bunch lemon grass
- ½ cup of white vinegar (rice vinegar)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 4 tblsp white sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tblsp fish sauce.
- ¼ cup of light soy sauce
- ¼ cup of rice vinegar
- 3 tsp sugar
- 1 spring onion (scallions in ireland)
- 2 tsp finely grated ginger
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 0.25 cup water
- (optional – half a long red chilli)
- 3-4 long red hot chillies
- Coarsely chop water chestnuts, coriander and garlic chives, finely chop chilli and grate ginger using microplane. In a food processor, mince prawns.
- Combine pork mince with chopped ingredients, pepper, dry sherry and fish sauce.
- Lay out dumpling wrappers on a lightly floured bench and fill with mince mix. Fold and seal the dumplings. Moistening the joined edges with water should facilitate this.
- Place in oiled steaming basket and leave aside. Get the water for steamer on to a simmer. Mix dipping sauces. Place dumplings onto steam and ramp up heat to high. Steam for 5 minutes.
- Finely slice chillies and mince garlic.
- In a small saucepan, dissolve sugar in vinegar and bring to the boil, pour into a bowl. Add garlic and chillies and stir.
- Bring soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, and water to boil over medium heat, stirring briefly, until sugar dissolves. Pour into bowl.
- Stir in spring onions scallion, ginger, and sesame oil. Also, could add fresh chopped chilli if you think there isn’t enough in the dish!
By Toby Alker-Jones for MasterChef Ireland