This is a great recipe if you have cheese or milk that's about to go out of date.
- 4 portions smoked haddock
- 4 vine ripe tomatoes
- 1 tblsp fresh thyme leaves
- balsamic vinegar
- salt and black pepper
- 100 g wild rocket
- welsh rarebit
- 200 g strong cheddar
- 50 ml milk
- 2 tblsp bread crumbs
- 15 g flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp english mustard
- 1 splash worchester sauce
- Melt the cheese in the milk add the flour, bread crumbs and mustard and cook on a low heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Blend in the egg and worchester sauce in a small blender. Roll out between two sheets of greaseproof paper to about 5mm thick and allow the mix to set in the fridge.
- Slice each tomato into 6 slices and spread out on a large baking tray sprinkle with sugar, salt, pepper, thyme leaves, balsamic and olive oil and place in the oven on its lowest setting for 20 minutes.
- Grill the haddock when half turn it over and place a piece of rarebit on top and grill until golden brown. Arrange the tomatoes in a circle on the plate, top with the haddock and some lightly dressed rocket leave.
More by Oliver Dunne:
- Crêpe Souffle with Chocolate & Cranberry
- Who are ya' Coddle-in'? St Patrick('s Day dins)
- Ardsallagh Goat's Cheese and Beetroot Compote