Yellaman is thick and sweet and much tradition lies behind it.
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 4 tblsp butter
- 4 tblsp golden syrup
- 1 tblsp water
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 2 tsp baking soda
- Yellaman is thick and sweet, And much tradition lies behind it; For centuries at Lammas Fair In Ballycastle, you would find it.
- To make this toffee, first you melt The butter in a heavy pan; Add sugar, syrup, vinegar, And start to boil your Yellaman.
- To test it, take a spoonful up And in cold water let it fall: It's ready if the mixture turns Into a crisp and brittle ball.
- Now put the baking soda in- You'll find that it will foam and froth; So take a spoon and rapidly Keep stirring up the bubbling broth.
- Now pour it in a well-greased tin; Cool, then break in bits to eat. You'll soon know why, at Lammas fair in Ballycastle, Northern Ireland, The Yellaman was such a treat.