A tasty treat that won't break the budget!
- 100 g fresh breadcrumbs
- 150 ml milk
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (finely chopped)
- 400 g minced turkey
- 400 g minced pork
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 egg (beaten)
- olive oil
- for the tomato sauce:
- (makes 750ml)
- 50 ml olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp tomato purée
- 2 x 400g cans plum tomatoes (crushed)
- 3 fresh basil leaves
- sugar to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- To make the meatballs, first soak the breadcrumbs in the milk.
- Mixed the chopped onions, garlic, with the pork and turkey. Add the breadcrumbs, oregano, salt and pepper to the meat mixture and mix well.
- Add the beaten egg and mix thoroughly.
- Roll the mixture into balls.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan and add in the meatballs. Fry for approximately 5 minutes turning occasionally until browned on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute on a low heat until soft.
- Add the tomato puree and cook for a further minute.
- Add the tomatoes along with their juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- To serve, add the meatballs to the sauce and allow to simmer for about 7 – 10 minutes.
- Serve with spaghetti.
Catherine's tip: Replace the oregano with a pinch of chilli powder in the meatballs for some extra spice.
More by Catherine Fulvio:
- Today: Catherine's Cider Chicken Casserole
- Mediterranean Monkfish with Pesto Trapanese
- Ballyknocken Daube of Wicklow Beef: Fulvio