A salad with a difference.
- 2 lemons
- 275 g prepared small squid
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 onion
- bunch of flat leaved parsley
- bunch of [basil]
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 200 g mussels
- 200 g peeled prawns
- salt and black pepper
- ½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 tblsp olive oil
- Squeeze lemons and add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to 1 litre of boiling salted water and bring to boil.
- Cut squid into ½ inch rings. Add to the water and simmer for 6 –8 minutes. Leave to cool in the water.
- Wash the mussels. Melt some butter in a pot and add some chopped onion. Cook for 2 minutes and add the mussels and half a cup of white wine. Allow the mussels to steam for a few minutes. Remove from the pot and allow to cool. Drain the squid and add to the mussels and the prawns in bowl.
- Deseed the tomatoes and cut flesh into long thin strips. Peel the onion, finely chop and put into a bowl with the tomatoes. Peel the garlic and crush and add to the mixture. Rinse and dry the herbs. Finely chop parsley and basil and add to the bowl.
- Mix in the rest of the lemon juice with salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar and olive oil and pour over the salad, mix well and put in the fridge for about 1 hour.
- Serve with watercress and garnish with sprig of parsley.
More by Peter Wyse:
- Baked Gratin of Hake with mature cheddar, mustard and cream
- Roasted Marinated Loin of Lamb in Indian Spices, Dhal, Chana Masala and Banana Raita.
- Passion Fruit and Lemon Meringue Roulade Served with Passion Fruit Sauce